Back to school time is often a great time to sign your kids up at a club. More and more mothers are deciding to sign their kids up for fitness classes. Why? To get exercise, make friends, learn something new, and most of all, to have fun! There are lots of choices that are suitable for all ages.
The best sports for kids
There are a multitude of sports available for kids to play. Of the many different fitness activities to choose from, some are more popular than others, such as the trampoline, combat sports, gymnastics or creative sports like dance. These recreational activities are very popular.
- Trampoline: Both fun and easy, the trampoline is loved by lots of kids - but also their parents! You can do it at home - if the weather cooperates - and it's a great way to work out your frustrations!
- Combat sports: Judo, Karate, Kung-fu, and Tae Kwon Do are just some of your options. These sports give your kids the opportunity to face others, gain self-confidence, and channel their energy and aggressiveness.
- Gymnastics: Kids can start from a very young age with baby gym (6 to 36 months). The 45-minute classes are dynamic and use colourful equipment to amuse children. Mums are often invited to participate and do a little sport together.
- Expressive sports: Little ones love sports like dance, which let them express their creative side. Short choreographies are a great way to improve their memorisation skills.
There are even gyms just for kids, called NexGym. For the moment, they are only available in the US. They offer fun, varied classes and exercises, sometimes making use of video games to help children develop their muscles and learn about new sports (virtual boxing, cycling, climbing).
The benefits of fitness for the little ones
Doing sport from a young age helps children:
- Fight childhood obesity, the scourge of today's society
- Become more aware of their bodies' abilities
- Develop coordination, balance and flexibility
- Improve motor skills and reflexes
- Create social bonds
- Develop their imagination
- Develop muscles
- Gain self-confidence
- Take care of their health while having fun